Opening Doors – Careful Communication with Children (CCC)
Designed for adults working directly with children and young people: health and education professionals, social workers, police officers, therapists, counsellors, youth workers, foster carers, advocates, solicitors, guardians. The programme covers the age range from 18 months to 18 years.
To enable professionals to respond safely and confidently when children or young people might be showing or telling that they are at risk, including careful initial communication and questioning for potential legal purposes.
No formal previous training in interviewing or qualification is required.
Adult responses to early concerns are key to children’s safety. Guidance to front line staff can be very prohibitive, often telling people what not to do. This programme takes the opposite approach and will give participants:
- An understanding of observational commentary and how this can help a child to tell.
- An understanding of the elements of good forensic questioning, including question types and why they matter so much.
- Ways to keep an open mind when listening to children, including a range of open-ended questions and prompts that safely ‘open doors’ for children.
- Approaches to quickly establish rapport with children and set safe expectations when exploring initial concerns, including strategies for working with children in the presence of other adults.
- Knowledge about how trauma, impairment and disability can affect a child’s vulnerability and communication.
- An update about how children’s evidence is now being heard in criminal and family courts.
Upcoming course dates
24th and 25th June 2019, in Brighton
17th and 18th September 2019, in Brighton *this course is now fully booked*
3rd and 4th March 2020, in Brighton
9th & 10th June 2020, in Brighton
£160 + VAT for two days including lunch, refreshments and all course materials.
If you would like to commission us to deliver this course to you, please contact us to discuss options.
To see our Careful Communication with Children leaflet, please click here.
Please contact us for more information or to book a place.